Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Thrifting

(This was obviously months ago: Really, it was in February. It is now March.)

I haven't been able to post this week because I haven't had any time to take any pictures! I wish I did, but I will strive to make more of an effort.

This post is about thrifting. I never really thrifted until I started reading a whole number of blogs talking to thrifting tactics and it got me thinking maybe it's a neat way to find unique, and primarily vintage items; items that add a certain flavour to your wardrobe.

This musing started with a quick stop to my local Goodwill to see if there were any goodies to be had. What was meant to be a 10 minute stop ended up being over an hour, with many different items in my hands. I was brimming with excitement of my new purchases.

The initial excitement, however, wore off and I was left with me pondering if the clothes I bought were worth the amount I paid. You see, I bought a few things that, had they *not* been at the Goodwill, I wonder if I would have purchased these items at all. It seems I am become lax about the fit and cut when it comes to thrifting.

Case in point: Today, when I was thrifting, I bought a dress I know would have put away if it were in a conventional store. It was a size too big, a smidge too long. Yet, I convinced myself that I would alter it (which I did, eventually) and that I would just "rock it." There is something about shopping in a thrift store that makes me lax in my vigilance of not buying. I wonder if this is the case for everyone.

One thing I need to do is remember thrift stores are just that: stores. They may have unique and lovely items, but I need to keep in mind to constantly minimize the number of clothes I have. I need to remember to constantly streamline my clothes and think whether these clothes will add to my collection, or if it will just be lying in the wayside. (like this belt I bought the same day. Ugh)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I always appreciate your thoughts. Much Love, Jane.