Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

The Ubquity of Longchamp

If you want to buy one
Like it or not, an unspoken uniform exists among the DC women professionals. When I was in law school, the Kate Spade tote bag was *the* bag indicating you were no longer a student, but a working woman. These days, it's the Longchamp "Le Pliage."

The tote bag du jour of yonder years. (Source)
Why this observation? Whilst walking to my local Whole Foods, I found it interesting that at least twelve different women were carrying the infamous bag to their destination of choice. They were all wearing similar outfits: a shift dress, nice heels, manicured nails. Not that there is anything wrong with the bag, or the presentation of the outfits. They all looked lovely. I just chafe at the idea of uniforms.

For the price of the Longchamp, I feel there are better alternatives than a nylon bag. Don't get me wrong, I love a good nylon bag, but do you really need to spend that amount for a nylon bag? How about a nice leather one? Even if the name is not Longchamp, does that make you less of a professional?

I understand the manner in which you dress does affect the treatment you receive from other people. But, as I see my neighbourhood changing, I cannot help but feel the ubiquity of Longchamps, the Tory Burch flats, and the many Ann Taylor Loft dresses, is a sign that uniqueness no longer is celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I always appreciate your thoughts. Much Love, Jane.