Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Thrifting, Part 3

I went thrifting yesterday. First time since the last post. This all started with me popping in at the Goodwill whilst waiting for Mr.T to drop off his car to get tinted. And there I saw it. A new, chocolate brown H&M shirtdress, with tags, in my size, draped in the mannequin. (It looked very similar to this dress. Just brown) And, boy, did I want it. But, I *didn't* get it. Why? Because I was with Mr. T and let's just say he's not as enthused about me buying clothes at the Goodwill. Me? I think it's freaking awesome. So, I decided to go back (yesterday) and get it at a later time. To use my favourite phrase, "you snooze, you lose." And I lost. A very cute dress. I cried a little inside. (OK, maybe a lot)

With the sense of loss, I decided, since I was already there, I would look and see what else was in store for me. I didn't really look very carefully, but I *did* end up with two dresses. One dress was a wee too small in the bust area, but fits everywhere else, so I'm going to give it to my cousin. The other one, is a smidge too big. Which is why I now regret buying them. It seems to me a lot of the times, when I go to the Goodwill, I end up buying clothes that I kick myself in the butt for buying. Does that ever happen to anyone? And how do you stop from feeling that?

After this lovely excursion, I read this article, and after reading post after posts on The Great American Apparel Diet, I got inspired to see how long I can last without spending *any* money on clothes. I have so much and I would *love* to sell them, but I don't know how to do so. I've decided to catalogue all the clothes I wear to see which clothes I wear on a regular basis, which clothes just languish in the closet. My goals is to try and limit the times I go thrifting and shopping. I want to use all the clothes I have and whatever clothes I never wear, I am going to give them away.

To me, it really isn't about saving money per se, but to not be wasteful. I realise how wasteful I am, especially when it comes to my consumption of clothes. I know I don't need so many clothes and my hope is to create a closet that is sparse, but filled with quality clothes. Here's to hoping I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I always appreciate your thoughts. Much Love, Jane.